Inquiries Form

Please use the Inquiries Form.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Joint Research / Commissioned Research / Academic Consulting

Q1. What is the difference between joint research, commissioned research, and academic consulting?
A1. Please refer to Collaboration Options at a Glance.
Q2. What are direct expenses, indirect expenses (expense for University-Industry Collaboration (UIC) Activity Promotion), and research fees?
・Direct expenses:
Expenditure on gratuities, travel, consumables, utilities, employment of research support personnel, purchase of equipment, and other direct costs which are necessary to conduct joint research
・Indirect expenses (expense for UIC Activity Promotion):
Expenditure on essential items other than direct expenses (percentages and permitted uses vary from system to system)
・Research fees:
Expenditure on the hosting of Joint Research Collaborators posted to Osaka University by a company or other organization for the purpose of undertaking joint research, where the Collaborators retain their positions in the organization (only required where Joint Research Collaborators are hosted from a company or other organization as part of a joint research project)
Q3. Do you accept electronic signatures?
A3. Regretfully we are not equipped to handle electronic signatures at this time.
Q4. Can payment be made in installments?
A4. Please enter such requests in the Special Remarks section of the Application Form.
Q5. What is the Joint Research Form 3-4 (Simplified Version)?
A5. Compared to the regular version of the form, this simplified version is designed to streamline the contracting process by allowing matters relating to attribution and handling of intellectual property created in a joint research project to be determined through negotiation if and when intellectual property is created, rather than stipulating such matters in the original joint research agreement. The form can be used for research projects that meet a number of conditions, including that they are not expected to generate intellectual property. For detailed conditions please refer to the Joint Research Application Form.
Q6. Can we alter the wording of Form 3-4 (Simplified Version)?
A6. Unfortunately it is not possible to do so. We cannot respond to proposals for amendments of a form that is designed to streamline the contracting process. If you wish to make changes, please consider using Form 3-1 (Regular Version).
Q7. What kinds of matters can be handled through academic consulting? (How is it different from commissioned research and joint research?)
A7. The main aim of academic consulting is to provide advice.

Intellectual Property

Q1. What types of intellectual property does Osaka University manage?
A1. Intellectual property generated through research may take the form of inventions, devices, designs, plant varieties, circuit layouts, program works, database works, or knowhow.
Q2. How do you handle inventions that are generated in the course of joint research or commissioned research?
A2. Rights to inventions made by faculty/staff members of Osaka University are, as a rule, the property of the university. Rights to inventions made jointly by an external organization and faculty/staff members of Osaka University are co-owned by the organization and the university. Patent applications for such joint inventions are made jointly pursuant to a joint application agreement formed between the organization and the university following negotiation. However, the handling of inventions generated by a commissioned research project is governed by the specific project agreement.
Q3. Can we have a monopoly license for an invention?
A3. If you wish to do so, we can grant an external organization or a designated institution authorization for a monopoly license or exclusive license over the products of joint research or commissioned research, in principle for a specified period following application. This period can be extended pursuant to separate negotiations.
Q4. Can you assign the rights to an invention made in the course of joint research or commissioned research to our organization?
A4. If you wish to do so, the university’s share of the rights may be assigned to you pursuant to an assignment agreement, after a price is negotiated.
Q5. What is your basic approach to patent licensing?
A5. When licensing patent rights, we negotiate the most appropriate conditions in light of the primary objective of maximizing the licensee’s use of the invention, while also taking into account its development strategy. If it is anticipated that a specific licensee will make use of the invention, one option is to grant a monopoly license or assignment of rights. In such cases we impose certain conditions to avoid having the invention left unused. Moreover, we believe that non-monopolistic licensing is the appropriate approach for inventions that are expected to have broad utility and be used by numerous organizations.
Q6. Who should sign the confidentiality agreement?
A6. Ideally the signatory should be a division head or more senior officer, but it is also possible for the actual researcher to sign.
However, for confidentiality agreements formed when disclosing previously unpublished patents, a separate form is used with the university president as signatory: please be sure to consult with the Intellectual Property Strategy Section.